One of my reasons for entering politics is a desire to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to fulfil their potential, whatever their background. This means that everyone should be able to get onto the jobs ladder and pursue a rewarding career. As an MP I want build on my successful past projects helping young people develop skills and get into work.
To help our young people I have been working on the following youth enterprise projects:
- I set up and chaired the first Youth Enterprise Summit in Tooting in September 2014, to ensure local agencies are coordinating their work and giving every out-of-work young person the right support for their situation; the Summits take place annually
- In 2015 I established a new Grant scheme for young entrepreneurs from disadvantaged backgrounds, which allows them to access a few hundred pounds to get their business started
- I have supported the work of the Wandsworth Mayor to promote youth enterprise across the borough; for example, I was one of the local entrepreneur 'Dragons' who took part in the 2014 Dragons Den contest for 16-18 year olds, which develops young people's entrepreneurial interests and skills
- Working with the Foyer Federation charity, we ran a 'Pop-up' Jobs Fair on Tooting High Street in October 2014, which helped inspire young people not in education or employment into training and work
- I mentor young people looking to start a business, as well as supporting the Wandsworth Youth Council 'Takeover Day'
I have other related projects planned for the coming months, so if you are interested in these activities please show your support by Liking my Facebook page and signing up for my email newsletter which will report back on the work I'm doing.