Our area is packed full of history, but many heritage sites have been at risk of development in recent years. You can see below some of the projects I have worked with local residents to protect, and as your MP I can do even more of this work in the future.
- Restoring the Tooting Lodge: I'm working with local residents to restore this historic Georgian building and reopen it to the public; read more in the Wandsworth Guardian article
- Saving the Romany scout site: I lead the campaign last year which was successful in raising the funds needed to purchase the site on behalf of the community and save it from development
- Promoting the Totterdown Estate Conservation Area: setting-up a Residents Association and community projects on the Estate to improve its look and feel
- Ensuring the Tooting Constitutional Club plays an ongoing role in our community; in March 2016 a revised planning application was agreed by the Council, which included public access to the bowling green area at the back of the Club, preservation of some of the historic fabric of the building and new community space on the ground floor; we await further details and a timeline for the project
- Getting the Granada Cinema (now Gala Bingo) on Mitcham Road listed as an Asset of Community Value; it is our constituency's only Grade I listed building and we need to secure it for future generations.